Hi! My name is Tiffany and I live in a little beach town on the east coast of central Florida with my husband Kevin and our two furry kitchen helpers, Jack and Emma. I am passionate about maintaining a healthy lifestyle with clean eating that incorporates seasonal produce grown locally. Here are some super random facts about me:
- I am lover of all things food, especially combinations that wouldn’t necessarily be known to “go together,” but are amazing – like Strawberry Chili.
- While I eat vegetarian and vegan style meals several times throughout the week, I haven’t completely kicked meat and would consider myself more of a flexitarian.
- I don’t think I could ever completely live in a world without sushi, bacon, Mexican food or fried okra.
- I can cross one eye and keep one straight.
- I solo flew a glider airplane when I was 14 years old. Ironically, I am terrified of flying today.
- I have had a passion for cooking since I was little, and the first thing I cooked alone was Spaghetti. Lots and Lots of spaghetti. Apologies to my parents and little sister…
- When I am not making a mess in the kitchen, you can find me working with patients at my hospital job as a CT Technologist.
- Some of my favorite things are snuggling with animals, taking pictures of everything, learning about Jesus, spending time with my favorite people, creative writing, vacations in the mountains, bubbly drinks in cute tall wine glasses, adventure mud runs, sipping bellinis in little garden style restaurants, brunch, blueberry pancakes on Saturday morning, walking on the beach, riding my bike around town, farmers markets, the Nora Jones Pandora radio station, and teaching people about healthy eating.
I have never been seriously overweight, but I have definitely been on the path leading to it. A few years ago, I could no longer fit comfortably into anything in my closet. So I went with the usual “diet until I fit back in my clothes” routine. Not long after, I’d fall right back into the pattern of crappy eating until the next time my jeans acted like a python. Side note: muffin tops are waaaay cuter in a cupcake pan than lying over the top of my pants. Over the years, I continued to yo-yo, trying multiple “get slim quick” crash diets, and even turned to veganism for a good solid 2 years. I finally realized (a) I really couldn’t live my whole life without the occasional bacon splurge and (b) I could diet for the rest of my life, but that seemed awfully limiting to my love of great tasting food. After several years of the ups and downs, I looked at limiting my food portions for each meal. And it worked! I lost the pesky waistline. A little exercise helped too, but my eating habits really made the big difference. I did noticed one thing hadn’t changed much: I continuously felt sluggish after eating and my frequent headaches and body pain were still present. What I needed wasn’t just to SEE a difference. I wanted to feel one too.
I mentioned that I was a chronic yo-yo dieter. When I say I have tried them all, I mean seriously everything short of the grapefruit diet (if you want a good laugh, check out this article on 7 Diets in 7 Days…I can relate lol!) I have even gone so far as to experience anorexia from allowing myself to live in a stressful situation with no regard to my health or nutrition. All this time I knew I wasn’t doing it right, but I didn’t even know where to begin! There is too much conflicting information out there on “Do this!” “Try that!” and my personal favorite ” The top foods that will kill you.” Bleh. It was annoying and super confusing, yet a passion for long-term health kept stirring. I wanted to get it right. Finally in 2013, I began my journey to create a healthy long lasting relationship with Food, starting my first class in a Natural Medicine PhD program, with a specialty in Nutrition. This world of truth has opened my eyes to the amazing way that way that food is not only delicious, but depending on what we are consuming, it can literally make or break how our bodies work. Food is truly a natural medicine, and it surrounds us in an abundance of beauty, flavor, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and healing power of not just the body, but the mind as well! I began to experiment with foods that were similar to what I naturally craved, but had a much healthier food content. After a while I was able to tweak recipes so that people who ate junk food all day long were even impressed. It is all about the quality of what you use to create your culinary masterpiece without compromising the nutritional foundation that is so important to maintaining long lasting wellness. This site is dedicated as a learning tool and resource for recipes using clean ingredients that are minimally processed and loaded with seasonally ripe produce…the best kind to give your body the maximum benefits. I stated earlier that this is a journey, and that means that I am also learning with you along the way. I look forward to being your guide as we tour the seasons together!