Two words can easily bring a smile to anyone’s face. Especially when those words are pizza cookie. Yes folks, today it’s all about smiles and pizzas made out of cookie. Buttery, flaky almond flavored cookie. Topped with sweet seasonal spring fruit and honey-kissed greek style cream cheese frosting, what is there to frown about?
Now typically I like to try and make my dessert recipes without refined sugar, but there are times when I cannot completely eliminate it from the mix. Instead of going totally crazy, I went with a smaller amounts, chose organic and changed a few of the traditional cookie ingredients to a healthier options, like whole wheat pastry flour and cream cheese with live yogurt cultures. I also eliminated the traditional mounds of powdered sugar from the frosting and replaced it with a small amount of raw honey, which has amazing medicinal properties. Instead of a refined white flour and sugar disaster, we end up with a dessert that is made from clean, organic ingredients, topped with the vitamin packed power of fresh cut spring fruit and hemp seeds. A healthier pizza cookie! That makes me smile from ear to ear.
The only time this pizza cookie made me frown was when it disappeared less than 24 hours later. Good thing we still have another month and a half to indulge in deliciously ripe spring fruit. Let’s all go make another pizza cookie together, shall we?
How did your fruit pattern turn out? Post pics of your pizza cookies in the comments!
Seasonal Nutritional Highlight – Mangoes, Kiwi and Strawberries!
Check out these post for more nutritional information and recipe ideas using these delicious spring fruit!
- Almond Cookie Pizza
- ¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- ½ cup organic sugar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup organic grass fed butter, cut into smaller slices
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1-2 tbsp cold water
- Cream Cheese icing
- 6 tbsp Greek Style Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp organic milk or water
- 3 Honey Mangoes
- 3 Kiwi
- 3 Strawberries
- 1 tbsp Hemp Seeds
- Honey for drizzling
- In a large bowl, mix whole wheat flour, almond flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it is broken down into small pieces. Add almond extract and mix with a fork until dispersed. Add just enough cold water to form into a dough ball (if too watery, add more flour to stiffen up again). Wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate for 30 min.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place cookie dough on a floured surface and add just enough flour so that cookie is not sticky and can be handled easily. Place cookie dough on a pizza stone or pan (pizza stone makes a nice crispy cookie bottom) and spread out into a pizza circle with hands, staying 2-3 inches away from the edge (cookie will get much larger!). Bake for 25 to 30 min until golden brown and cookie is set. Let cool completely.
- Place cream cheese, honey, vanilla, and milk in a small food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Slice fruit and set aside.
- When cookie is cool, spread with cream cheese icing. Top with sliced fruit in a fun pattern. Sprinkle with hemp seeds and drizzle with honey. Cut into slices and enjoy!