Most of the time when I make meals, they have some sort of seasoning or sauce involved in the process. Cooking without it is like a salad without dressing [insert bleh]. However, there is one issue: I am a sauce snob. Sometimes I use typical prepackaged sauces, but once you have made your own, there is no going back. Homemade sauce is the boss!
Because I am in a time crunch most days, I try to make sauces that are really simple. Here are two of my absolute favorites to keep on hand at all times:
1) Garlic Mayo – this creamy jar of garlic love will become an instant favorite. A little goes a long way, so you can add the flavor to your meals without all the added calories. It’s technically kind of a semi-homemade sauce because the veganaise is done for you, but this recipe helps it take on a whole new flavor of it’s own. I love adding it to sandwiches, wraps, burgers, and even using it as a base for salad dressings or dips. This version is made with a low fat veganaise for the calorie concious. I can’t tell you how many times I am asked for this recipe because it is so tasty!
Vegan Garlic Mayo
- 5-6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup low fat veganaise
- 1/4 tsp salt
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic and immediately remove pan from heat. Let sit for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Garlic should be fragrant and may brown slightly, but be careful not to let it burn. Add to mayo and mix well. Best if made overnight and let sit in fridge for flavors to develop.
2) Vegan Dulce de Leche Caramel Sauce – The days of canned processed caramel with brown food coloring and hard to pronounce ingredients are over. This easy dulce de leche is so rich and yummy, you may want to make a double batch. I stumbled across a 3 step honey caramel from The Urban Poser and after some slight tweaking, it has become a staple in my kitchen. It takes a little while to boil the mixture just right, but is practically hands off except for the occasional stir. I like to make it while I am cooking another meal and just set aside for later. Or for spoonfuls while I meal prep. #wedontjudgehere.
Vegan Dulce de Leche Caramel Sauce
- 1 - 15 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- pinch of pink salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
Bring coconut milk, agave nectar and salt to a boil, then turn heat to low. Simmer for approx 40 min, or until mixture starts to thicken, stirring often to keep from burning at the bottom of the pan. Add extracts and coconut oil and let simmer for another 5 min. Remove from heat and transfer to a heat resistant bowl. Stir mixture well with a fork for 1-2 min, or until creamy and smooth. Serve warm and reheat in warm water for reusing with a speadable consistency.
Leave a Reply